Fixing Truck Camper Tie Down

The front driver truck camper tie down pulled out when I applied tension to it.  To fix the problem, I first removed the broken water heater:



The wood into which the tie down was mounted is in bad shape:


I reinforced the wooden frame and installed a new tie down, then used the water heater cover to seal the hole where the water heater used to be:


Looks good:


Starlink Internet Satellite Installation

One of the challenges of RVing the rural West is the lack of cellular phone service.  Starlink provides high-speed, low-latency internet connectivity anywhere the dish can see the sky.

To minimize the risk of having the dish stolen, I mounted the dish into an old tire that I bolted to the roof:


From the ground, it looks like just a spare tire stored on the roof:


Works well!

Water Bladder Enclosure

Last year, I built a wooden floor for the truck that is installed where the back seat normally is installed so I could carry more cargo.  I modified the wooden floor so that it stores a 45-gallon water bladder:




I can still carry cargo on top of this, but now I can carry 45 gallons of extra water as well!

Truck Camper Modifications

Now that I’ve spent a summer in the truck camper, I know what I’d like to improve.

I added a macerating sewer pump so I can dump using a garden hose:


I built, painted, and installed a cabinet door for the cabinet above the refrigerator:


I replaced the bathroom light fixture with a double fixture, and replaced one of the bulbs with a dim bulb, so when just the left side is on, it acts as a Shabbos bathroom night-light:


I purchased a Starlink satelite internet system, so I installed a bulkhead Ethernet adapter to connect the satellite dish on the outside with the electronics on the inside:



This past summer I had trouble with the refrigerator not lighting due to incorrect propane pressure due to altitude.  I added a quick release hose to the propane compartment, both to run a propane-powered generator and also so I can hook up a manometer to measure propane pressure:




Spring RV mods

The truck’s overload springs provide a stiffer ride under load when they’re fully engaged, so I installed these bumpers to keep the overload springs under tension at all times:


I installed these skewers so I can carry my bikes in the truck camper:


I broke up a laptop cooling pad and built this frame to build a powered exhaust system to cool the coils on the back of the refrigerator:




The lights built in to the fan cause the refrigerator exhaust cover to glow:


I sealed the back of the refrigerator from the cabin so the negative pressure from the fans can suck fresh air through the lower vent and exhaust it out the roof vent:


I modified the PPG mount in the RV, and in the process punctured a propane line, so I had to take apart the bench and replace the damaged line:


The biggest job was welding on struts that connect the front and rear jacks to increase the truck camper’s stability when I’m getting the truck camper on and off the truck:


Now I’m ready for adventure!